No announcement yet.

Road report: Phantoms 3, Binghamton 2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road report: Phantoms 3, Binghamton 2

If I had tried to sell you on this scenario before the game, Mcyou probably would have thought I was still on a holiday. And I wouldn’t have blamed you.

The Phantoms trailed 2-0 heading into the third period Saturday against the Senators and were being outplayed. In nearly 200 minutes of hockey against the Senators this season, they were being outscored 14-0. So of course, the Phantoms scored three times in 12 minutes in the third to win 3-2, their second straight comeback from two goals down on the road.

But it’s even more unlikely than that. They got goals from third-liner Ryan Dingle and the game-winner from fourth-line enforcer Matt Clackson. And the tying goal came from Pat Maroon, who broke a more than two-month scoreless drought. And oh yeah, they did all that on just eight shots in the third, getting outshot 16-8.

All-in-all, a fairly improbable win, but a strong character-building type effort. In case you haven’t checked in on the team for a while, maybe the turnaround is sticking for real this time. The Phantoms have won three of their last four, including two road comebacks. Also encouraging is that captain Jared Ross has scored in two of the last three games and has points in three of his last four-games, while*Maroon got off the schneid, too. Get those two going and you could be looking at*a team rapidly climbing the standings. As it stands, they’re right in the middle of the playoff hunt.

Couple of other notes:

– Danny Svyret was called up to the Flyers while on the bus to the game. He’ll join the Flyers Sunday in Long Island. It’s unclear whether he’ll play. Ryan Parent sat out Friday’s game with a lower body injury and is day-too-day.

– Returned officially from recall, Johan Backlund was sharp. The first goal may have been a bit soft, but he excelled the rest of the way. He’s won two-in-a-row and is certainly making a case to remain the No. 1.

– Forwards Andreas Nodl and Krys Kolanos were scratched on Saturday. Meanwhile, Trent Daavettila returned to the lineup. Perhaps trying to recreate some of the chemistry/combinations that worked against Wilkes-Barre?