Postgame: Albany 1, Phantoms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Albany 1, Phantoms

If you were looking for some blood-letting Thursday*in the wake of the Pat Maroon incident, you didn’t get it. What you got instead was a well-played, playoff-type game.

I assumed Wednesday’s storylines would carry over. They didn’t.* Both teams said they made a point to forgo retaliation and focus on getting the win.*Some people will like that. Others won’t.*The hockey was crisp and the goaltending suberp.

Much of my game story centered on whether Albany’s goal should have counted. The consensus, even by the guy who scored it, seemed to be that the puck went under the net and not the pads of John Grahame. I won’t get into that much more here since you can read all the angles and quotes on that in the game story. (Look also for a sidebar on Maroon).

Shame such a good goaltending duel was decided that way. Interesting contrast as Albany’s Mike Murphy is 20 and admitted to being in awe of Grahame a bit. Grahame, who defines the word grizzled*vet,*seemed slightly bemused by when told.

A couple of quick points before I head down to Saratoga for some first night revelry:

– Krys Kolanos was a scratch for the fourth straight game. He’s healthy, that’s all Greg Gilbert will say. Surprised not to see him Thursday with the team short a left wing. Kolanos scored 31 goals in 45 games last year.

– Jon Kalinski has played really well the last two nights. No points to show for it, but his strength on the puck is clear.

– Rob Bellamy looks like he’s found a home on the right wing of the Jared Ross line. Gilbert likes*to pair*Ross with a big, active body who can*go into the corners and dig pucks out. Bellamy fills that role well. He’s also one of the guys you can count to bring it every shift.

– The fourth line had a great shift where they kept the puck pinned in the Albany end for about two minutes.

– Happy New Year everyone!

– Tim

More...
Working...
X