Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road report: Binghamton 4, Phantoms 3 (SO)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road report: Binghamton 4, Phantoms 3 (SO)

A few news items to come out of the Phantoms loss in Binghamton Friday night.

As expected, Pat Maroon didn’t play. Initially, there was talk that he’d be able to return after the all-star break, but that became unlikely when he didn’t skate in practice on Thursday. Phantoms coach Greg Gilbert said on the pregame radio show on WNYQ that Maroon will begin practicing with contact early next week.

Phantoms captain Jared Ross, who*didn’t make last weekend’s trip to Norfolk because of a family emergency, did not play. Gilbert said that*Ross only began skating on Friday and he thought he needed more time before being thrown in a game. Ross is a possibility for Saturday night.

*Krys Kolanos, who has scored in the last three games, also didn’t play because of an undisclosed injury. No word on his status for Saturday.

AHL President and CEO Dave Andrews was Owen Newkirk’s guest on the intermission report on the radio broadcast and said he’d be in attendance Saturday night in Glens Falls. Echoing his comments from his state of the league address this week, he spoke highly of Adirondack, saying it is “wonderful to see the*Phantoms thriving and the fan support there.”

Andrews threw a jab at*my story in Friday’s edition, saying that contrary to what he read in the paper he’s always supported hockey in Adirondack. For the record, I never said he wasn’t supportive, only that his public comments in last year’s speech were lukewarm. Coincidentally, another reporter at the speech last year came away with the same take as I did, right down to the headline writer using the same word.

Either way,*Andrews is*clearly pleased with what he’s seen and his support will go along way if there’s a time when the Phantoms leave and Adirondack is hunting for a new franchise.

Suddenly, the River Rats appearance in Glens Falls may be one of their last. If you haven’t followed the drama unfolding on Friday, check out this story for an update.*Readers are talking*about the potential impact for Adirondack in this blog post. My sense is that there’s a lot of news yet to break on this.

If you haven’t gotten your tickets yet, my advice would be to get them early in the day if you’d like to sit. Pre-sale was 4,500 as of Friday night.

As for Friday’s game, sounded like the Phantoms played well early and OK for most of the game. They probably played their worst hockey when they were up 2-0 and their best early in the game and then in overtime.* As Gilbert has been preaching, the team needs to learn how to play a consistent 60 minutes. You’d also like to see them develop that killer-instinct when they’re ahead.

Nice gamer for Jason Ward, who assisted on all three goals. Ward got some heat from the fans on a previous post, but it’s worth pointing out that Ward is a team-best plus-2. He’s the only current Phantom on the plus side of the register.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X