Road report: Hamilton 4, Phantoms 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road report: Hamilton 4, Phantoms 1

Believe it or not, the Phantoms actually*played better Wednesday night then they did in their previous two meetings with Hamilton. But as was said on the radio broadcast in a different context, you don’t get anything on the scoreboard for being close.

For two periods, the Phantoms played even with Hamilton, finally breaking the hex of Cedrick Desjardins, and taking a 1-1 tie into the final 20 minutes. But early in the period, Garrett Klotz got called for interference away from the puck — never a good idea — and Hamilton converted on the power play to make it 2-1.

The Phantoms nearly tied it on a shot by Joey Mormina that Jon Matsumoto tried to jam home, but it led to a breakout the other way and a Hamilton goal that made it 3-1 and effectively iced it. Thems the breaks. Hamilton has outscored the Phantoms 13-1 this season with one meeting remaining.

The worse news may have been Wilkes-Barre/Scranton beating Norfolk. That put the Penguins five points ahead of the Phantoms for fourth place in the East, which currently is the final playoff spot in the conference. (Let’s hope it stays that way and we no longer have to consider crossover scenarios.) The teams meet head-to-head twice.

Notes

– Just how much do you people love Matt Clackson? Twenty-four of the game-worn replica 1980 “ADK” jerseys are currently on sale on EBay. Of those 24, only eight had been bid on as of late Wednesday night and those*were minimum bids ($249). Clackson’s jersey has been bid on 14 times, raising the current asking price to $398.14 with NINE DAYS left in the auction. It’s a beautiful sweater,*and I’m sure Clackson will sign it for the lucky winner, but I wouldn’t pay $400 for Ryan Miller’s USA jersey. OK, I might, if I wasn’t a poor sports writer.*

– The Flyers returned Joey Mormina to the Phantoms before the game. Mormina, who practiced with the Flyers for five days but didn’t get in a game, was minus-2.

– Tough night for the top line: Pat Maroon was minus-3 and Jon Matsumoto and Stefan Legein were both minus-2.

– Speaking of that line, I thought Laliberte skated with them in practice on Tuesday. Either I was wrong — and I owe an apology to Greg Gilbert for saying he was bluffing — or something changed before the game.

– John Grahame got the start for Lake Erie in a 3-2 loss to Rockford on Wednesday night. Sorry to see him go. Grahame was a classy guy while he was here and deserved better than his record. Good to see him get a chance to be an everyday starter. To clarify some of the confusion, I don’t believe Grahame was waived. Because he was on a tryout contract, he could leave for a team that offered him a standard, two-way contract. He was waived by Colorado after being signed so they could send him to Lake Erie.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X