Binghamton 1, Phantoms 0: Same story, different day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binghamton 1, Phantoms 0: Same story, different day

Coming into the weekend, I was a bit concerned about how Jeremy Duchesne would fare Saturday night. Shame on me. Duchesne, like the five Adirondack goalies before him, was excellent. They aren’t the problem.

Making just his third AHL start, Duchesne gave the Phantoms every chance to win and then some. He allowed one goal, on a 2-on-1 that should have never happened. How Binghamton can win a draw in its own zone and then get an odd-man rush the other way is puzzling.

The Phantoms really squandered a chance to make a playoff push. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton lost again Saturday. Had the Phantoms won their two home games this weekend, they’d trail the Penguins by one point. Instead, they remained five back and fell behind Syracuse into sixth place. The cross- over rules are back in effect as well, as Bridgeport moved two points ahead of the Penguins and seven ahead of the Phantoms.

Now the Phantoms have to go into Hershey, where the Bears won their professional hockey record 22nd straight home game on Saturday. Good luck.

Did you notice?

– Denis Bodrov fan on a one-timer into a open net in the final two minutes? That was one of at least three point blank chances they didn’t convert in the final minutes. Bodrov also missed on a similar back door play earlier in the game.

– Rob Bellamy played for the first time in five games? I’m sure you did notice, because he was the one guy out there hitting anything that moved. He had two big hits in the left corner in the first period.

– That Amy Walag sang the anthem? I have no idea who she is, but she’s about 1,000 times the best of any who has done it this year. *I think this was her second time. I vote to make her permanent anthem singer.

Quotes

Jeremy Duchesne

On his overall effort:

“I made one mistake, cost us a goal, but aside from that I think I played a pretty solid game and pretty happy with my game, but of course I’d rather have the win.”

On the difference between the ECHL and AHL:

“I find that it’s faster, but at the time it’s more simple. I think it’s one of those things were it evens out a bit and I didn’t feel uncomfortable at all.

“The defense is a lot better in front of you. And if you give up a rebound, someone’s there to clear it. You get shots, but you get shots from better spots. You don’t get as many of those big scoring chances.”

On the goal, where he was beaten from the wing on a 2-on-1:

“I just probably didn’t have my eye on my pad. I had a little, maybe two inches too high and it just went right under.”

Greg Gilbert

On Duchesne:

“Jeremy played well. He made some big saves, did some real good things out there. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get him any run support again and get him a win.”

On whether they generated enough chances:

“I thought we had some opportunities on our power play earlier in the game. As for five-on-five, we didn’t accomplish much. We weren’t driving the net hard. Our shots that we were putting there were soft. You’ve got to put them low, hard for rebounds and get guys inside ice for second chances. For the amount of opportunities we had we should have buried and scored one, if not two, maybe three goals. It didn’t happen.”

On the play of Rob Bellamy:

“He did a good job for us. He’s finishing his checks, that’s the way he’s got to play. He’s got to punish opposition and get in on the forechecks hard and shoot the puck and skate. I like the way he drives wide and challenges the opposition defensemen.”

On the Senators’ goal, which came off a faceoff in the other end:

“Just guys not coming back, reloading above the puck. A 2-on-1, that we maybe could have played a better. There’s no way they should be coming that quick off a faceoff on the offensive zone. They did it to us two or three times. We have to be more alert, more aware from the drop of the puck and be ready to go.”

On squandering chance to move up in playoff race this weekend:

“We’ve got to go into Hershey tomorrow. Two games here in our own building we threw points away, didn’t gain any ground and everyone’s catching up to us. We’ve got to wake up and start putting some wins together.”

Brandon Svendsen, Senators forward

On his breakaway goal off the faceoff in his own end:

“It ended up being a 2-on-1 and it was just a good shot. It was a great play off the draw (by teammate Kaspars Daugavins) and I was just happy to pop one in there. It just went right under the glove. It was a great play in the zone and just happened to get a good shot off and it ended up being the game winner.”

On the Senators winning three in a row on the road and overall after losing 12 straight away from home:

“We haven’t changed things too much. We keep playing the same way we have been and we’re starting to get the bounces now and games are starting to go our way. We’re sticking to the game plan, sticking together and we’re starting to string some wins together and it’s going really well right now.”

On whether the Senators are back in the playoff race:

“We’re not really thinking about anything, it’s one game at a time for us right now. We’re going to stick to it, stay together and I think being on the road together, getting away from things and just being together 100 percent is really helping us out and I think it’s going to carry over into our next two games. And we’ll just keep plugging away and you never know what can happen.”

Lineup
    Scratches: Healthy: Bourdon, Sloane, Dingle; Injured: Syvret, Ward, Kolanos.

Lines: Maroon/Matsumoto/Legein; Nodl/Ross/Bellamy; Pyorala/Kalinski/Laliberte; Klotz/Beaulieu/Clackson.

Defensive pairs: Lehtivuori/Mormina; Marshall/Stephenson; Bodrov/Curry.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X