Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hershey 5, Phantoms 4 (OT): ?We let it slip away?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hershey 5, Phantoms 4 (OT): ?We let it slip away?

I can’t say it any better than this, so I’m going to turn the floor over to commenter Phantomsphan, who sent this shortly the game:

When they play Hershey they come out with*fire, intensity, and passion. If they brought half the energy against other teams they wouldnít be in the difficult position they are in. Itís nice to see them finally play hard, but itís also frustrating. I look back at a season of missed opportunities.

Can you disagree with any of that? Hershey is likely to shatter the single-season AHL wins record. The Bears won their 50th game. The Phantoms are likely having an early spring break. But the Phantoms have beaten them three times, more than anyone else, and it could easily be five. Wouldn’t that be a fun first round matchup if the Phantoms can somehow make it?

I think every paying costumer has a right to be upset if we don’t see the same effort Saturday and Sunday. Sure, the Phantoms broke down on the shorthanded goal and the overtime winner. But for the most part, they were good. Hershey is just *better.

The big news was the switching of Jon Matsumoto to the third line and Jon Kalinski taking his place centering Pat Maroon and Stefan Legein. I think it was time to try this. Matsumoto is way off his earlier pace, scoring one goal in his last 10 games before Friday. Legein and Maroon each had two in their last 10. Considering Kalinski, Legein and Matsumoto each scored Friday and Maroon had two assists, I’m thinking we see this the rest of the weekend, at least.

Quotes

Greg Gilbert

On giving up two third-period leads:

“We let it slip away. Giving up the power play goal, we knew they look to that play all the time on the one-timer and they’re very good at it. And we didn’t close off the seam and they finished it. We let it slip away. I thought we competed hard, I thought we worked hard, played pretty good tonight. But again, those little mistakes that will cost you games. Good teams capitalize and that’s what happened tonight.”

On Jon Kalinski and Jon Matusmoto switching spots:

“You’ve got to try doing something. You don’t need major changes or switches, but maybe a simple move here or there might boost something and get something going. It’s good to see those guys get the goals tonight.”

On getting two goals in the second period by driving the net and putting pucks on goal:

“We’ve been working on that all year. If we haven’t learned that that it works and we get scoring opportunities off of that we’re either not smart or we just don’t want to get it. It’s effective, it works, and it just showed tonight that it does.”

On Hershey’s game-tying, short-handed goal in the third:

“It’s a bad play up the middle, then we have five guys caught up the ice and they’re blowing the zone. They’re down by one, you know they’re going to gamble and they pretty much end up with a 2-on-0 situation. Our decisions with the pucks, whether it’s youth or inexperience, have to be better.”

On Helmer’s overtime game-winner:

“It’s three guys closed up on one guy. We can stand up and close ice at the blue line and fill our lanes going back into the zone and take away that cross ice pass. We got three guys mesmerized by the puck. They go over and (Kevin) Marshall’s standing by himself. They feed it across — shot, rebound. *It’s knowing the game, hockey sense. You’ve been taught and working all year on coming back and taking away ice and prevent those things from happening. They’re still bad habits we need to break and obviously that cost us tonight.”

Bryan Helmer, Hershey captain

On the intensity of the games between these teams:

“It’s almost been like playoffs out there. Both teams battle. It seems like we take it to them for one period, then they come back and take it to us for a period, makes the games close and it’s pretty much up for grabs in the third. I think our guys responded really well in the third and our guys got the victory.”

On why the Phantoms play so well against them:

“I was reading some of the quotes from Gibby (Greg Gilbert), and it seems like they do raise their play against us, and maybe not against other teams. There’s definitely is that rivalry coming from Philly. We*played against lots of their players last year and it’s always good. “

Ed note: Helmer played for Gilbert in Worcester several years ago.

On his 14 minutes of penalties in the third period after losing his composure with referee Jamie Koharski:

“It was, totally (frustration). He got in the way there when I probably could have gotten the puck out and then Adirondack got a good scoring chance. I disagreed with the call and kind of lost my composure and that’s something I’ve got to learn. It happens. They guys did a great job while I was in the penalty box and we got the win.”

On coming out of the box to score the game-winner:

“I needed a little rest, I guess. (Steve Pinizzotto and Chris Bourque) made a great play and I just got the rebound and put it at the net.When I can so something like that, it’s a good night.”

Lineup

Scratches: Healthy — Ryan Dingle, David Sloane. Injured — Garrett Klotz, Jason Ward, Krys Kolanos, Danny Syvret.

Lines: Maroon/Kalinski/Legein; Pyorala/Ross/Laliberte; Nodl/Matsumoto/Bellamy; Beaulieu/rotate/Clackson.

Defensive pairs: Mormina/Lehtivuori; Stephenson/Marshall; Curry/Bodrov.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X