No announcement yet.

Postgame: Hamilton 6, Phantoms 5 (SO): A wasted chance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Hamilton 6, Phantoms 5 (SO): A wasted chance

The Phantoms took six out of eight points on this four game homestand. It should have been eight. In the two games they lost, the Phantoms blew third period leads.

For 50 minutes Wednesday, I was convinced the Phantoms were on their way to their best win of the season. Then things collapsed. You can read about it in the game story, but here’s the gist: far too many turnovers, some shaky goals allowed by Michael-Lee Teslak, and a fluky play to tie it.

I want to get right to the news coming out of this game:

– Greg Gilbert said “I’m thinking that’s what the plan is” when asked if Johan Backlund could return this weekend. The question is whether he dresses for Adirondack or the Flyers.

According to Tim Panaccio of, if Backlund is healthy enough to play, he’ll be sent to the Flyers and Duchesne returned to the Phantoms. Panaccio reports Backlund has a strained groin.

Here’s Gilbert on Backlund: “He’s day-to-day. He’s getting better. He’s getting a little better every day. There’s still some things he can’t fully do, so he’s going to be rehabbing it.”

– David Laliberte won’t play in Norfolk this weekend. Jason Ward is expected to return.

– The Phantoms plan to send a tape of the incident between Pat Maroon and P.K. Subban to the league office. The Phantoms say Maroon only speared Subban after being speared himself.

Overtime was crazy. Jon Kalinski had a solo breakaway stuffed. Stefan Legein went right through the goalie. Jared Ross got pulled down on another breakaway (he also fanned on a one-timer into the open net from Joey Mormina).

You’d have had to kill someone to get a penalty called. Subban punched Ross in the face. Ross slashed someone hard. It was chaos.

Greg Gilbert

On the the fluky tying goal, which came from the blue line and deflected past Teslak:

“You don’t clear pucks out of your zone you ask for trouble. And that’s what happened the last three goals. You have full control, you turn it over inside your blue line and they pressure, guys get sloppy and you leave opportunities around. That’s what costs you hockey.”

On what changed in the final 10 minutes:

“Just turnovers. Bad details. Turning pucks over our blue line and inside. Turning pucks over the offensive blue line. You know they’re coming, they’re down by two or three goals. All you got to do is get pucks out (of your zone), get pucks in and forecheck and maintain pressure in the offensive zone and you win the game. We sit there and turn pucks over and try fancy things and turn pucks over and get away from the things we were doing to get the lead and it ends up in our net. That’s been the same story for most of the year.”

On the goaltending:

“Mike made some saves for us, but I’m sure there’s one or two he wanted back. When they’re allowing guys *(Subban) *with a rocket of a wrist shot walk down the gut by himself and he shelves it, that’s not (Teslak’s) problem. That’s exposing him to Grade A chances. It’s the other five guys on the ice you have to look at.”

On the Subban incident:

“No I don’t think it did (warrant a game misconduct), because he was speared first by Subban. We’ve got it on tape and we’re going to send it to the league. The call was inexcusable. Subban starts it with a spear, he spears Patty right in the chest, Patty slashed him back, or speared him, whatever you want to call it, but it’s inconsistency in the refereeing, that’s what it’s all about.”

P.K. Subban

Ed note: Subban, an AHL rookie defenseman, has 16 goals, 34 assists and is a whopping plus-37.

On the third period goals:

“I think at any level, the No. 1 thing when you’re struggling to score goals is put puck on net. A lot of those goals today weren’t fancy ones. That tying goal, it wasn’t fancy. It’s not going to be on TSN on the highlight reel or ESPN. Just put pucks on net. That’s what we focus on. We showed up for the third period, for sure.”

On his incident with Maroon:

“That’s hockey. Things happen. Emotions get the best of you and sometimes you do things you don’t want to do. *I don’t think Pat’s a dirty player. I played him against in juniors, I don’t think it was a dirty play, just an emotion thing. The refs caught it and they made the call. There’s not much I can say about it. It’s a hockey game out there. These games are important. Guys know that so things happen. He’s not a dirty player or anything like that. He doesn’t have a history of doing dirty things like that. He’s a good player, he’s one of their best players. It’s not a big deal.”

– Tim