Phantoms 3, Senators 2: A win at last

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantoms 3, Senators 2: A win at last

The Phantoms won for the first time since March 21 and the first time at home since St. Patrick’s Day. They ended a six-game losing streak and won for just the second time in 11 games.

More so than the win, good to see the youngsters play well. Goalie Brian Stewart made 31 saves for his first career win. Ben Holmstrom scored his third goal in 11 games. And Erik Gustaffson continued to be a revelation. He had a point, giving him one in each of his three games with the Phantoms. And Danny Syvret continues to tease us with what might have been, scoring for the second time in as many games as he’s been back. Syvret has four goals and seven assists in 13 games.

On the negative side, Pat Maroon sat as a coach’s decision. I couldn’t find Maroon in the postgame locker room for comment. Logan Stephenson was also a healthy scratch for just the second time since December. For more on them, see the quotes section.

Heartbreaker for Binghamton, who fell to the brink of playoff elimination. They outshot the Phantoms 26-7 through two periods, but the Phantoms scored on their first two shots. This is a game the Senators surely felt they should have won.

Quotes

Brian Stewart

On the tough start:

“Tonight, our team had a bit of a slow start. We weren’t shooting the puck. We weren’t finding the net on a couple of them. The third period, we played great and then the overtime. The boys really rallied.”

On the first goal, which came from the left circle and beat him shortside:

“The first goal looked kind of weak, but it changed direction. I guess it hit the defenseman’s*stick and changed direction on me. I was way more nervous the first game.”

On seeing as many shots in the first two periods as he did Saturday against Albany:

“It keeps you in the game, then when a better scoring chance comes you’re more ready for it. That’s the thing about being a goalie, your head has so much to do with it.”

Greg Gilbert

On Logan Stephenson and Pat Maroon being healthy scratches:

“Logan, he’s been up and down for the last little while. The second goal in Albany on Saturday he came off and gave them a breakaway for whatever reason. Sometimes you have to sit people out that their focus isn’t quite there. Not that Stevey isn’t a competitive guy. You just have to make those decisions and do the right thing. And Patrick, he’s sitting out for a reason you should probably ask him about. It’s all about being a pro and being responsible and being accountable and if you’re not going to be that way, out of the lineup you come.”

On becoming the 15th coach to win 300 AHL games:

“I’d much rather be in the playoffs right now. I’d give (300) up for anything. But what’s even more important is Brian Stewart getting the first win of his pro career. Let’s put the focus on him.”

On the play of Stewart:

“He did a great job. The first one I’m sure he’d want back. It was a good shot, but beating the goalie to the shortside from that far out I’m sure he’d want it back. He made some great saves for us. On the breakaway late in the second period there where guys are just falling asleep, not paying attention to the guy blowing the zone. My goodness, there was eight seconds left in the period and we had the puck in their zone all of a sudden they get a breakaway. Things like that can’t happen and it’s focus and intensity and Brian came up with the save for us.”

On playing spoiler:

“We’re just trying to win hockey games. It doesn’t matter what position or situation you’re in, it’s all about winning and playing hard. It’s all about pride and character right now and we have to see who has it. There’s guys in there that have a great amount of it and battling right to the end, and there’s some other guys we’re concerned about it.”

Lineup

Scratches: Teslak, Bourdon, Sloane, Bodrov, Klotz, M. Clackson, Ward, Dingle, Beaulieu, Kolanos.

– Tim

More...
Working...
X