No announcement yet.

WJHC 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now, new, TSN's post-WJC ranking of top-50 NHL-affiliated prospects.

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-t...ects-1.1241872

No Hart, but I think they considered him an NHL regular already. Only 3 Flyers, none in the top-30: Farabee (#32); Frost (37) and Myers (45).

Comment

Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post

No Hart, but I think they considered him an NHL regular already. Only 3 Flyers, none in the top-30: Farabee (#32); Frost (37) and Myers (45).
      Which goes to my earlier debate with some of the posters about what we 'really' have.

So many fans have a hard on for this "great" collection of prospects Hexy has acquired, but the reality is most of it was quantity over quality. Lot's of two-way 'safe' bullshit picks that will translate into mid-tier NHLers.

Not a single franchise player or game breaker. This rebuild is years behind what organization had envisioned.

Comment

Agree that the Flyers prospect strength lies in a quantity of solid talent but lacks game-changing potential.

I wonder how it reflects on Hextall's re-build plan. He said build from the back out, starting in net, then defensemen, then forwards. He inherited Morin and Hšgg from Holmgren's last draft, and then drafted Sanheim and Provorov with his first two first-rounders, while also targeting a number of goalie picks in later rounds. Plus signing Myers. Four+ potential solid NHL defensemen (plus Gostisbehere) in the fold by this point, and looking like one possible answer in net.

So when Hextall turned to forwards, his available first-round picks in four recent drafts were ## 24, 22, 2*, 27, 14, & 19. Not tons of talent often available at most of those spots, and I wonder where Patrick would be on that top-50 list if he weren't in the NHL. Likewise with Hart, though Hart doesn't go to the issue of a lack of dynamic forward talent. I think last year's draft showed a willingness to try to swing for the fences with the O'Brien pick after taking the safer first pick with Farabee.

So did Hextall have enough time and fail, or did he not get to finish his plan?

But, regardless now, this year will absolutely be the one that has to land some significant (game-breaking?) talent with what should likely be at least one very high pick.

Comment

in hindsight, he should have sold off more vets earlier instead of "retool", if we had moved jake and simmer 4 years ago for talented 18-20yos those players would now be emerging as stars, as well as getting higher draft picks.

BUT we still have better days ahead of us. i dont think we can really judge hextall's work yet. we have to wait until we see his players hit their peak. later draft picks take longer to become quality players, imo.

Comment

So I wonder where Hart would have been if he had not already become an NHL regular?

Iím
            Guessing he would have to be top ten no?

I see a lot of Jason Robertson play with the Icedogs, and IMHO I think he is rated much too high on that list ... very one dimensional player .... great shot and decent speed with size but thatís about it.

I havenít seen Frost play a lot mind you ... but if I had to choose between Frost or Robertson, I would probably take Frost over Robertson.

Frost reminds me a lot of what I saw from Mitch Marner when he was in the O. The puck seems to always find him and heís fast, got great hands and has great passing vision . I canít wait to see him play at the next level ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Corey Pronman also released his mid-season prospect list on The Athletic. Remember,
              his preference is for highly skilled players with upside. Only 3 guys made it to his "Elite NHL Prospect" level (Q.Hughes, M.Necas and O.Tippett) and 14 to his "High-End NHL Prospect​​​​​​" level.

Here is how he ranked the Flyers prospects (all in the "Very Good NHL Prospect" level:

25. Philippe Myers, D, Philadelphia

Previous ranking: 33

Skating: 55
              Puck Skills: 55
              Physical Game: 70
              Hockey sense: 50

Myersí second pro season got off to a bit of a rocky start. He turned pucks over a lot but scouts report heís been better lately. There are few defensemen out there with Myersí combination of size, mobility and touch, and that athletic skill set has a ton of value. I donít think his hockey sense will ever be the selling point of his game, but heís smart enough to get enough out of his toolkit and create chances. He could be a reliable every situation guy who plays on a second pairing.

29. Morgan Frost, C, Philadelphia

Previous ranking: 50

Skating: 50
              Puck Skills: 65
              Physical Game: 40
              Hockey sense: 60

Frost has been one of the top players in the CHL the past one-and-a-half seasons. His skill level is fantastic. He makes plays others have no business trying and consistently looks like a top-end playmaker. Iíve had concerns over the years over his pace, but Iím seeing mild improvements in that area. At the world juniors, he showed he could skate at a quicker pace, but heís not great there, and at times, as a smaller guy, he can get pushed off pucks too easily. Due to that, it might take him some time to adjust to the pro game, but once he does heís so skilled that heís going to be a great NHLer.
              ​​​​​​

39. Joel Farabee, LW, Philadelphia

Previous ranking: 82

Skating: 50
              Puck Skills: 55
              Physical Game: 45
              Hockey sense: 65

I was a mild skeptic of Farabee going into his draft year, but since being picked by the Flyers (14th overall) Iíve steadily been won over by his game (I know, crazy right!). I always knew he was a smart player, but heís so smart. His natural skill level isnít high-end, but heís very creative and sees the game very well. Farabee combines that with a high compete level and fine but not amazing speed. He might never frequent highlight reels, but he will be a guy who will log a lot of minutes in all situations.

Comment

Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post

Which is exactly why the Flyers need to tank this season and get a high end skilled player in the draft .This is their chance to get a skilled top end player to build with along with Frost and Farabee,Hart etc... They cant blow this ,they aren't making the playoffs this year anyway why screw it up by winning a few games now and draft 14th and get the traditional Flyers two way player in the draft and get nowhere again?
                sigpicPhiladelphia Flyers: Home of future Stanley Cup Champions on other teams.

Comment

I agree Cup4Recchi. If there ever was a time to throw in the towel on the season itís now. Complete the rebuild that Hexy started. Sell Simmonds and Jake. Load up for the draft.
                  Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

On an aside ... just looking at this morning's standings and what happened to ANA? 0-6-4 in their last 10 and winless in 12?

Back to Flyers, since they won Monday they jumped up two spots. I'm not super worried about the difference between 28th and 31st since the lottery odds make the top picks such a complete crapshoot, though I guess there's some merit to the argument that 31st overall in the standings is guaranteed to pick no worse than 4th (technically the most-likely spot under last year's odds) while 28th could possibly get only the 7th pick.

Which other teams clustered near the bottom should definitely be sellers this year? (Poor OTT having already sold their first-round pick)

Comment

Originally posted by Cup4Recchi8 View Post

Which is exactly why the Flyers need to tank this season and get a high end skilled player in the draft .This is their chance to get a skilled top end player to build with along with Frost and Farabee,Hart etc... They cant blow this , ...
                      On the idea of a "Process" I heard some basketball/Sixers fans discussing what they felt is already the ultimate failure of their recent "Process" and that they should already blow it all up and start a new tanking process to try to have a chance in about 5 or more years. Their logic was based on the PHL-BOS trade at the draft a couple of year ago -- where the Sixers gave up assets to flip 3rd for 1st overall pick but that PHL got a bust with the #1 while BOS added a stud at #3 to go with their already great team -- and now the Sixers will have no chance for many years of ever beating BOS in the playoffs to come out of the East, so they might as well dump everyone for future picks and try to start all over again. I know the NBA is a completely different situation where a few dynamic players grouped on one team are able to establish essentially insurmountable dynasties, but ... Damn! That's some harsh fans perspective.

Comment

Working...
                      X