Forward lines once Patrick gets back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hookah_McGirk View Post
    In all honesty, I am WAY more excited for Frost to join this team then I am for Patrick to return. I think Frost will be an impact player right away.

Giroux - Hayes - Farabee
    Lindblom - Couturier - Konecny
    JVR - Frost - Voracek
    Twarynski/Laughton- Laughton/Vorobyev - Raffl
    Those lines as you laid out, even if it would look like only a Ďthird-lineí spot for Frost, there could be a lot of rookie third-liners in the league who might really want such wingers.

That being said, would there be the right chemistry with those three on a live together? Two areas Iíve seen oft-repeated for Frost to tweak in his game for the NHL are pro-level defensive play, and consistently driving the play. I have seen people comment here for JVR and Voracek playing improved defense under AV so far this season, but would those two wingers still be a right match for Frostís pro game as it currently is?

Comment

I'm with you AIK...Frost would need a Lindblom on his line to help with the things he might not be so good at right now. But that will be a difficult decision, since the Couts line is SOOO good. But if there was a way to allow Frost to replace Couts and have Couts center G and Farabee....could that allow us to have 2 super lines?

Comment

Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post

Those lines as you laid out, even if it would look like only a Ďthird-lineí spot for Frost, there could be a lot of rookie third-liners in the league who might really want such wingers.

That being said, would there be the right chemistry with those three on a live together? Two areas Iíve seen oft-repeated for Frost to tweak in his game for the NHL are pro-level defensive play, and consistently driving the play. I have seen people comment here for JVR and Voracek playing improved defense under AV so far this season, but would those two wingers still be a right match for Frostís pro game as it currently is?
        JMO but it would seem to be a waste of one of Frost's greatest assets, speed, to put him on a line with JVR and Voracek. G and Voracek have always played well together.
        Giroux - Hayes - Voracek
        Lindblom - Couturier - Konecny
        JVR - Frost - Farabee
        Twarynski/Laughton- Laughton/Vorobyev - Raffl
        "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Originally posted by Hookah_McGirk View Post
          .... I think Frost will be an impact player right away.
          Do you mean MORE of an impact that Farabee is having right now?
          If so when do you think they'll bring him up?

"Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post

Do you mean MORE of an impact that Farabee is having right now?
            If so when do you think they'll bring him up?

Although it was preseason, I thought Frost stood out in all his games and was easily better then Joel. His puck control and offensive awareness was really impressive. The kind of high level awareness that allows him to make plays in tight spaces and seemingly dance around bigger players trying to smush him.

Although I want to see him up with the big club ASAP, I am more then fine with him developing with the Phantoms for awhile....even this entire season.

Itís kind of like when they had all those young blue liners ready but they had to stagger their NHL careers a bit to ensure they didnít have too much inexperience at once.

Until some one guys really struggle or the team hits an offensive rut, they probably wonít bring him up too soon. The team needs appear to be on 3 things right now and Frost isnít the answer for any of them.

1) figure out the 4th line balance. Andreoff showed last night that he brings an effective amount of energy, muscle that was useful. Ditto for Twarynki.

2) figuring out the top 6 blue liners. Some interesting battles going on right now. Myers is tearing it up with his opportunity, and Hagg might be the odd man out. I also wouldnít be surprised to see Ghost or Braun dealt at some point although Morins injury may have reduced that chance.

3) figuring out who plays well with who. The Flyers have more offensive talent in their top 9 then any team I can remember. This is why Frost will have to be patient. That said ....he is so good and IMO such a big piece of the cup puzzle that it makes a lot of sense to get him NHL experience so that he could be ready for the playoffs this year if needed.

{inhale} I HEART CLAUDE GIROUX {exhale}

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post

Defensively I didnít notice that much from either Farabee or Frost during the preseason. They both looked a bit weak but competed smart and hard.

I will say that Farabee during his regular season play has really been impressive with his stick on pucks and anticipation. He wins puck battles and steals pucks constantly. Itís very impressive and probably the reason (aside from frosts injury) that Joel got the nod before Frost.

I think Frost is one of those very intelligent cerebral players that make their wingers better no matter who they are. Defensively he will probably need some time and as you pointed out perhaps JVR/Voracek may not be the best combo to start out with. I think Frost will get acclimated defensively quickly, but it may be smarter to start him on the wing with guys like Coots or Hayes doing the heavier defensive lifting.

{inhale} I HEART CLAUDE GIROUX {exhale}

sigpic

Comment

They could test him and let cout slide to the wing with him

Comment

Take some pressure off couts shoulder

Comment

Farabee was playing a pro north-south attack game since the NTDP. Frost was playing a juniors game until training camp. He just needs a little more pro acclimation. Less time and space and your mistakes have more consequences.

i kinda wanna see Frost centering Konecny just cuz i want to see TK play with someone who can keep up with him. maybe later in the season iíll get my wish.

Comment

Fantastic idea!

Comment

Working...
                      X