Roll call

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll call

Where is everyone? . Letís fire things up a bit.

fighting? Itís pretty much gone. Makes my heart bleed and makes the game more boring Debate that...if people donít think the characters that dropped the mitts made this game more exciting can say the game now is better. Iíd love to hear it.

Goes hand in hand with rivalries...where did that go? User to be I couldnít wait for a Rangers Flyers game. Devils Flyers game. Iíd literally take a day off work to see it if it was matinee.

Fights goals saves action end to end. Where did that go?!

Anyway...lots wanted fights gone. Enforcers gone. Rules tighter...are we happy? Is the game better?

Anyone take days off work anymore to make sure they catch a game?

curious?

Not being a dick. Seriously asking. Is the game better now and more exciting?

Comment

Iíll say this the talent and speed now is pretty good. I like it. Always loved the talented side of the game. I mean thatís what makes it great. But the other side of the game. The physical brutal side...that to me is what also made it great. And what separated it from other sports. The combination of the 2 made hockey a sport unrivalled.

Now...sure. Thereís guys flying around fast. Not doing much really. But theyíre fast.

is that exciting?

are you pumped to see Philly play the Pens? The Rangers? The Islanders? Etc. knowing itíll be a structure fest game with no physicality hoping one team makes a mistake somewhere along the line so the other can score. And meanwhile guys are exchanging friendship bracelets between periods?

guess I just miss the ole days when I knew some of the boys were punching the benches they dressed on to toughen up the knuckles knowing they were going to punch faces of a hated rival. They were jacked up. I was jacked up. It was going to be war.

now...selfies, stick taps and smiles at face offs.

anyone else miss old hockey? You just knew I was going here...lol.

Comment

So I go back to a specific game. Flyers vs Rangers Probably late 80’s. Not sure. Anyway matinee game.

my buddy and I are crushing beers all pumped for it. He’s a Bruins fan but still pumped because any hockey back then was exciting. He’s an Orr. Yes Bobby’s nephew and my best buddy but whatever.

so Philly puts the 4th line out to start. So do the Rags. Berube lines up with Poeschek. Orrsie and I look at each other. I’m taking Berube. He takes Poeschek. Sure enough puck drops the boys go and hell ya Berube takes him. Close though.

anyway. Point is. Right from puck drop we were engaged. Stagged fight? Hell ya. Entertaining? Hell ya. Set the stage for an intense game? Hell ya.

They hated each other. Came to play. And it was fun to watch.

Just wondering if y’all miss that or enjoy the game more now. Talk for the sake of talk.

Comment

Polar I'll come and throw some shit against the wall for discussion later today. Slammed at work.will chime in after a couple of pregame beers. Habs need to shake it up it appears....lol....price has given up something like 10 goals in his last 55 mind of playing time....

Comment

I didn't like staged fights. I do like policing and a good scrap to draw the team into battle on flat nights. I don't like guys getting concussed by fights. I wonder how come it seems like the old fighters don't have the PTSD tendancies of the more recent group of scrappers....

Comment

Originally posted by irvdog View Post
              Polar I'll come and throw some shit against the wall for discussion later today. Slammed at work.will chime in after a couple of pregame beers. Habs need to shake it up it appears....lol....price has given up something like 10 goals in his last 55 mind of playing time....
              Nah. Love the Habs right where they are. Shitting the bed. Lol.

love Price though. Great tender. As much as I hate the Habs Iím a fan of that guy. Heís quality. Always splits me Hate the Habs winning but love Price.

edge goes to Habs losing. Sorry Pricer. Lol

Comment

I didn't like staged fights. I do like policing and a good scrap to draw the team into battle on flat nights. I don't like guys getting concussed by fights. I wonder how come it seems like the old fighters don't have the PTSD tendancies of the more recent group of scrappers....
                oh I'm sure they do, but it was not taken as seriously...credit to Eric Lindros for holding his ground..in retrospect He was right, and it's nice to see him vindicated for it.

Comment

I'm loving the mess that is the Habs. Just loving it!!!

But to not side track Polar's efforts, i am now 51yrs old....and personally, while i love a good fight, i also cringe at the thought of the guys who are playing the game today fighting. I understand how an enforcer's impact on a game removes some of the chippy crap that seems to be more apparent in the NHL with a lack of policing by players...but the thing that scares me is that players are getting bigger and stronger, and i truly believe that its just a matter of time before an NHL player dies on the ice. And the death nail for the league would be IF that player dies due to a fight. I can't imagine how the NHL would be able to handle the PR nightmare. A player dying on the ice due to a hit won't be easy to handle, but will be much easier than a fight being the reason.

Soooo...i do hope that fighting stays around, but just want it done by smaller more skilled players rather than hired guns who specialize in the sweet science.

Comment

I get the dislike for stagger fights. No problem with any who donít like them. But...my question is this

whats a staged fight? Compared to someone going out and getting into one to pump the team? After listening to many enforcers both on radio, podcasts. Reading books about them. We call it staged fights. They saw it differently and knowing their job did it when they thought it would lift the team.

the example I gave I think personifies a staged fight. 2 guys going at puck drop. Nothing obviously happened in game yet to make them fight. But thatís not the reason they did. They did because it was Rangers vs Flyers. Who hated each other. And they wanted to start that game nasty. Love it. Donít need a reason in game. That was just a rivalry that went back years where both teams said ď letís ****in rumbleĒ to start. Beauty!!

I do feel you in the PTSD thing. Those guys had tough jobs. Not cool. So Iím selfish in liking that aspect of the game but realize the toll it takes on those boys. So in that respect Iím glad the guys donít feel that pressure anymore. Tough tough job. Toughest in sports imo.

im cool with enforcers gone. Miss them for entertainment purposes. But happy guys donít get scrambled anymore. Just wish more players had a bit of an edge to make the game a little more electric like the old days. Trying to like the new passive game. But fall asleep watching most times. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X