X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hattrix
    started a topic ASG accurate shooter competition

ASG accurate shooter competition

OMG, get rid of the stupid technology/plexiglass goal and back to styrofoam plates.
    What a shitshow of a concept.

Ian Malcolm: "Your {NHL executives} were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

• AIK1891
    replied
    Didn’t the WHA or some other start-up league try orange (or other colored) picks for a while for better visibility for fans?

I also thought HD TV was supposed to have resolved all of the issues.

Leave a comment:

• dogzus
    replied
    Originally posted by irvdog View Post
    It appears the target market the nhl covets is younger than most of us on this site.
    Well the Fox glow puck was still a dumb idea in 1994 too, when we were all in a much more desirable demographic.

Leave a comment:

• flyerdog
    replied
    Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post
    I remember a long-running theory that black tape could hide the puck from the goalie; likewise, black goalie pads were supposed to make it harder for net-crashing forwards to spot the puck in a scramble. I knew some goalies that said there was some merit to it. When you shoot, the puck travels down the blade from heel to toe, so seeing where it is on the blade informs to when the shot will ‘release’ from the stick.

I always used black tape but that was because I used friction tape for that last little bit of control on my wrist shots; it otherwise shouldn’t have benefited me because I only used a few strips right at the end of the toe (I also used a mostly flat blade with just a little toe curve).

In many “behind the scenes” images & videos I have seen from this modern era of composites, it seems that friction tape is hardly used anymore and many players apply cloth tape over most of their blades. You can have almost any color cloth tape, and then also wax it without hardly changing the appearance. I don’t think you could ever have white friction tape (it is essentially a cloth tape saturated with a tar-like substance) so I don’t know if a rule for non-black tape could function if players still wanted friction tape.

Trivia: Gretzky famously used the black friction tape but then sprinkled white baby powder all over it too make it not sticky ... he said because the friction tape was thicker from saturating, it made for a softer feel to better cushion sending & receiving passes, but he didn’t like the stickiness.
    the other thing is that if they required white tape....then casual fans might be able to track things better, even on TV where the contrasting colors would be easier to follow on screen and they could not have to bother with the glowing disk used by the networks all those years ago

Leave a comment:

• swami24
    replied
    Ya think?

Leave a comment:

• irvdog
    replied
    It appears the target market the nhl covets is younger than most of us on this site.

Leave a comment:

• dogzus
    replied
    If NHL.tv puts that puck and player tracking nonsense on the streamed games and doesn't let you opt out of it, they may succeed in getting me to give up on the NHL.

Leave a comment:

• AIK1891
    replied
    I remember a long-running theory that black tape could hide the puck from the goalie; likewise, black goalie pads were supposed to make it harder for net-crashing forwards to spot the puck in a scramble. I knew some goalies that said there was some merit to it. When you shoot, the puck travels down the blade from heel to toe, so seeing where it is on the blade informs to when the shot will ‘release’ from the stick.

I always used black tape but that was because I used friction tape for that last little bit of control on my wrist shots; it otherwise shouldn’t have benefited me because I only used a few strips right at the end of the toe (I also used a mostly flat blade with just a little toe curve).

In many “behind the scenes” images & videos I have seen from this modern era of composites, it seems that friction tape is hardly used anymore and many players apply cloth tape over most of their blades. You can have almost any color cloth tape, and then also wax it without hardly changing the appearance. I don’t think you could ever have white friction tape (it is essentially a cloth tape saturated with a tar-like substance) so I don’t know if a rule for non-black tape could function if players still wanted friction tape.

Trivia: Gretzky famously used the black friction tape but then sprinkled white baby powder all over it too make it not sticky ... he said because the friction tape was thicker from saturating, it made for a softer feel to better cushion sending & receiving passes, but he didn’t like the stickiness.

Leave a comment:

• flyerdog
    replied
    hey...for you guys that play/played...let me ask you something...what would happen if tape on the stick blade had to be white....and not black...would that make things harder or easier for goalies? seems to me that that might give goalies that extra millisecond of reaction time...but i never played so I don't know...or would it make no difference at all?

Leave a comment:

• swami24
    replied
    In the brief part iwatched , the new "tech" was horrible. Circle around the puck carrier blocked you from seeing the ouck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X