All-time Flyers 3 on 3 lineup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-time Flyers 3 on 3 lineup

I was listening to a Flyers podcast where the guys were providing their all-time 3 on 3 lineup (minus Gretzky and Lemieux). Thought this was an interesting discussion but started thinking about who would be on the ultimate Flyers 3 on 3 lineup for me.

I'm going to get back to this, because i want to think about this a little before sharing my lineup, but was wondering what others thought on this board.

Lindros, Giroux, Howe

Speed, accurate shooting, smarts, amazing passing, world class stick handling ...... I dare ya find a better trio.
    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

I tried to first think of mobility for any of the positions so, e.g., no Kerr despite his sheer scoring prowess.
      • For defense, I go Howe as both fleet enough to join offense, but also vision to spring his forwards with an outlet, smart enough to know when to join rush, while strong enough defensively to survive getting hung out against a three-on-one.
      • Lindros; again fast enough to keep up in an open-ice pond-hockey pace, skilled enough to make something happen solo, strong enough to bull through one-on-one (no likely double team defenses in 3 on 3) ... and hopefully enough open ice to not get caught with his head down.

last, even though shorter time here,
      • Forsberg; (before the foot problems obviously) again fast enough, but also creative enough to make something from nothing, tenacious at getting the puck, and purely skilled enough to simply keep control of the puck for as long as it takes until the right situation develops.

honorable mention, and substitute for Forsberg, Poulin ... he can score 3 on 5, so why not 3 on 3.

My biggest difficulty: trying to envision and compare historic Flyers against current Flyers and the current NHL pace if this were for a 2020 NHL 3 on 3. In the late-80s against players of that era, Eklund would be my first choice; but I really am unsure in my mind about comparing Eklund's best skating in 80s versus, say, Kase's best skating in now in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by AIK1891 View Post
        I tried to first think of mobility for any of the positions so, e.g., no Kerr despite his sheer scoring prowess.
        • For defense, I go Howe as both fleet enough to join offense, but also vision to spring his forwards with an outlet, smart enough to know when to join rush, while strong enough defensively to survive getting hung out against a three-on-one.
        • Lindros; again fast enough to keep up in an open-ice pond-hockey pace, skilled enough to make something happen solo, strong enough to bull through one-on-one (no likely double team defenses in 3 on 3) ... and hopefully enough open ice to not get caught with his head down.

last, even though shorter time here,
        • Forsberg; (before the foot problems obviously) again fast enough, but also creative enough to make something from nothing, tenacious at getting the puck, and purely skilled enough to simply keep control of the puck for as long as it takes until the right situation develops.

honorable mention, and substitute for Forsberg, Poulin ... he can score 3 on 5, so why not 3 on 3.

My biggest difficulty: trying to envision and compare historic Flyers against current Flyers and the current NHL pace if this were for a 2020 NHL 3 on 3. In the late-80s against players of that era, Eklund would be my first choice; but I really am unsure in my mind about comparing Eklund's best skating in 80s versus, say, Kase's best skating in now in 2020.
        I was going to say Poulin as well, king of the shorthanded goal!

Comment

Dave Brown
          Dave Schultz
          Chris Pronger

Comment

I'd start with Hextall in nets. His stick handling would allow for a 4th skater in many ways.

From there, i agree with Hattrix on two thirds of his selections...Lindros playing in such an open ice situation would be scary....power and speed. Howe also makes my team. His smarts and all-round abilities make him deadly. My 3rd skater (2nd forward) would be Clarke. His face-off abilities, pure hustle and vision would make him a wonderful compliment for Lindros and Howe. The one thing i don't remember him having is a slick shot...so i'm a little iffy here. AIK mentions Paul Forsberg...if we could have had the Avs Forsberg, that would probably have been the perfect fit.

My honourable mentions would likely be Recchi, Barber, Pronger (Ghost of the 65pt season would be nice!).

Comment

Howe
              Giroux
              Gagne

Comment

I will give you 3 full lines, no need.for a defenseman with Clarke and Poulin together.

Lindros Propp Howe
                Giroux, Barber, Desjardin
                Clarke, Poulin, Forsberg

Bernie
                Pelle
                Last edited by swami24; 01-29-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I didn’t think to also do goalies.

My first choice in net would be Bernie, but my second choice would probably go with Cechmanek because I could see him, unorthodoxly, make some insane acrobatic save against a 3 on 0 breakdown even if it did win the game but he yelled at his teammates afterward.

I would agree on Hextall because of the “4th skater” capability except for the rule preventing goalies from touching the puck in the corners; absent that rule Hextall would be my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
                    My 3rd skater (2nd forward) would be Clarke. ... The one thing i don't remember him having is a slick shot...so i'm a little iffy here.
                    A lesser pure finishing ability drops Clarke below Giroux, Roenick, and a few others for me; with someone like Giroux or Roenick carrying the puck on a 2 on 1, they can just as easily pass or snipe. On the other hand, I think of players like Clarke, Eklund, or Voracek as much lesser threats in the shooting role that the opponent might more easily & correctly anticipate pass.

Comment

Working...
                    X