Cages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cages

Once again, we have proof that it is time for the the NHL to mandate full cage or full visor helmets. Johnny Boychuk came within millimeters of losing an eye last night, and he wears a visor. 90 frickin stitches to close the cut. Every player now has grown up wearing a cage. Pro Lacrosee players have always worn a full cage. The league should want this because it will keep teams from losing a player to a permanent injury. When lax players want to scrap, they drop their buckets and go, so it wouldn't take that out of the game either. It just seems such an obvious move I cant believe it hasnt been done yet.

but he didnt lose an eye? since visors became the norm how many eye injuries have there been? not many/any?

Comment

Tons, and a lot of injuries caused by the visor impacting into the face.

Comment

Full cages will never be part of the pro leagues. Never.

Comment

Never say never. I'm sure they said they'd never wear helmets...and goalies would never wear masks...etc...

Comment

but what specific eye and visor injuries have there been recently? i feel like they changed the bevel on the visor to prevent getting cut.

Comment

It's just time for cages. Yes a skate cut is a very rare injury but the players are bigger, faster and stronger and composite sticks give almost every player a shot as hard as the hardest shots from 20 years ago. These players wear a cage from the first time they step on the ice as kids and then for some unknown reason at 18 they get to take it off and play in juniors. They've worn a cage for years at that point so the "it obstructs vision" argument doesn't fly. I don't understand why taking pucks or sticks in the bare face is a badge of courage.

Comment

Working...
              X